Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Trees - 3rd Installment

In our last installment, Mr. Thomson had just called Dave out of the trailer. The first customer of the day had arrived in the Christmas Tree lot.


EXT. – TREE FIELD – AM

There is a guy, in deep dark flannels, looking at the trees. He prods them, pushes them, and goes at them as if he were testing melons at the supermarket or something.

This is RUBEN, repeat shopper. DAVE approaches. Mr T lurks amongst the trees. Why? It’s certainly too creepy to be some sort of support. But, I think that’s what he thinks it is.

DAVE is not a salesman. It’s not something he likes, no matter how many times Mr T tells him otherwise.

DAVE approaches RUBEN.

DAVE
How you doing, sir? Can I help you with anything?

RUBEN
No thanks, young man. I’m just browsing.

DAVE
OK. Well, one of us’ll be around if you need anything.

RUBEN
Thanks.

RUBEN touches the trunk of one of the trees. He put his finger in his mouth. DAVE walks away. MR T pounces out when the customer is out of earshot.

MR T
Stay with him.

DAVE
He said he’ll come out when he’s ready.

MR T
You gotta get in there and make the sale.

DAVE
If he wants to buy, he’ll buy.

MR T
Get back there.

DAVE
Mr. Thomson, come on.

MR T
Let me show you how a real salesman does it.

DAVE closes his eyes for a moment.

WE SEE the searing hot cup of cocoa.

The steam is replaced by MR T’s breath flying into DAVE’s face.

MR T
C’mon! C’mon!

DAVE follows MR T to RUBEN, who is still smacking trees.

MR T
Good morning, sir. How are you?

RUBEN
Doin’ allright.

MR T
Can I help you out?

RUBEN
Just browsing around. I’m trying to find a real good one.

MR T motions to the one they’re looking at.

MR T
That’s a great one.

RUBEN
It’s nice.

MR T
You can’t get better than a Douglas Fir.

RUBEN
That’s what they say.

MR T
How about it? We’ll give you a good price.

RUBEN
How much?

MR T
$25.

RUBEN looks unthrilled by the price.

MR T
That’s a little under the going rate.

RUBEN
Mmmm….

MR T
We’ll wrap it up and put it in your car for you.

RUBEN
I could pick this up and throw it over the fence.
Why would I make a kid struggle to my car?

MR T
That’s part of the service.

RUBEN
Ahhh, I don’t need it.

He looks around and frowns. DAVE tags behind.

RUBEN
My family doesn’t come around much at the holiday.
Generally, I’m alone. I want a real good one. One
that feels right ‘cause it’s just the cat and me.

RUBEN is looking at things the whole time he talks.

RUBEN
Sweet cat. I call him Ruben. That’s my name too.
Ruben. We’re the Two Rubens. He’ll try and eat
the tree given half a chance.

Snow begins to lightly fall.

In the distance, another car pulls up. A family slowly gets out.

RUBEN
When you’re by yourself, you either don’t care
or it’s got to be perfect.

MR T
I know.

RUBEN
You do?

MR T
I’m in… (whispering) I’m a divorced gentleman right now.

RUBEN
There you go. I’m buying Xmas gifts for myself this year.
I’m wrapping ‘em up and putting them under the tree
with my name on them. “FROM: SANTA.” I don’t know
whether that’s pathetic or not. I can’t tell.

There is a pause. MR T seems to be on the very edge of saying something. But, he doesn’t… Instead.

MR T (pointing at tree)
This one would look really great with some gifts under it.

RUBEN nods.

RUBEN
Yeah. Well, thank you. I may come back later.

MR T points at the first tree.

MR T
$5 off that one.

RUBEN
No thanks.
(to DAVE) Have a merry Christmas, kid.

DAVEYou too.

RUBEN smiles and leaves.

LOUIS and SVEL are with the other family.

MR T watches RUBEN go. He looks down at DAVE.

MR T
Guy’s a tough nut to crack.

DAVED’you think he’ll come back?

MR T
I don’t know.

DAVE nods and heads back to the trailer.

No comments: