Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Alyssa's Journal #4

Well, it’s been a while. Why is that? It sure isn’t because things have gotten real exciting down in the Supplies Floor over at Grey’s Prepared Beef. I’ve been trying to write something more substantial for the site. A story, a poem, a something. But, I’m not pulling it off. I don’t know if it’s because I’m tired or I’ve got some kind of block or if I’m just not a writer. I sure thought I might be. But now…who knows?

And, oh yes, it’s Christmas. Oh boy. My Mom will not be coming by this year because she’s going to some sort of All-Holiday Bingo Fest down in Florida somewhere. If I’m lucky, I’ll find a stray cat to spend the holiday with. Or maybe one of the creepy Marinaters will spend Christmas Ever with me. God, I shudder just thinking about it.

I’ve bought a tree and some lights. I’ve got a jug of that eggnog with the brandy already mixed in and a dream for a better tomorrow. But, I don’t know if Santa and friends can pull anything off for me. “Santa helps those who help themselves.” Oh, cram it.

I don’t mean to sound crass because I don’t feel crass. Not really. When it comes to the holidays (especially Christmas), no other time of year excites me more. Christmas, especially, works on my senses like no other time. I mean, my gosh, go to a good candle store and buy a dozen or more Christmas related candles (from specific ones like Cinnamon or Egg Nog to more vague “conceptual” candles like “Christmas Morning” and “Holly Wreath”). The memories those smells will bring to you can be pretty astounding. Some are specific (many of the fir related ones) but some are...they do a strange thing. There is one called “Christmas Eve” and when I smell it, it’s odd...What does Christmas Eve smell like? This candle’s odor conjures up memories beyond sensory. I think it’s something to do with the name, honestly, maybe. The smell of the candle coupled with the name stir and draw up the memories of that time. (This is true because my memory is always vague before I found out the candle’s name. The fragrance can be enjoyed outright but due to, I guess, the limited amount of smells you can jam in candles, it works best when you also know the name. Your nose smells something but a push doesn’t hurt.) It’s strange. To smell each candle as it burns...Christmas. The day is not just one word; it is 100 different things vying for your mind’s attention.

Tip… Buy cinnamon sticks. Warm up your eggnog. Remove it from the stove right before boiling. Stir the cinnamon stick around a bit. Be good. These are the holidays and, frankly, you don’t want to be a snicker doodle! Take the stick out and drink. Drink hearty. Life doesn’t begin when you’re dead. It starts when you’re very much alive.

I just took a deep breath. See how I ramble when the feeling of the holidays hit me. I can blather like that forever. Maybe that’s what I need to write. A great Christmas column or story. Give me some time. Let me dwell on it. This could be the start of something.

By the way, have you read that Trees thing? I like it. Maybe I could take over for an installment or two. Is anyone listening?

No comments: