Monday, September 19, 2005

Where We Live & What We Can Do

Hello!

Arthur Yurvis here! How are you? I’m fine. Thanks for asking.

It’s a beautiful day here in Turbot! (Sports reference.) I do love my teams but anyway…

I’m here to tell you about where we live. Well, let me get this out of the way. The old houses in the woods, well, very few people live out there. This is where everyone lived before the marshmallow factory closed down. There are some old timers out there but they keep to themselves. Some times they tell stories but I never listen. I’m an accountant. One day, I’ll be an actuary. Turbot’s first. Until then…

We live in the Valhalla Estates on Odin Street right off of Yggdrasill Crest along with everyone else. Our trailer is E-5. We are on the perimeter now enjoying a view of the Bryant Woods. Old Hagar’s Swamp is about 1 mile away. It’s a beautiful place. E-4 is Mrs. Blake and her little son Mel (vert). They’re really nice. The son can yell a bit but he’s seven so you let him go. E-6 is Freddie C (He’s in Shipping & Receiving.) Good guy. Keeps himself to etc.

Five rows of 10 trailers. This is more than adequate space. We have a small screened in area out front and a small garden to the side. Sometimes ventilation is a little tough. The swamp can send a stink out if it gets too balmy and the neighbors can create their own smells on a hot night. Especially, if the septic need draining. But, it never gets overly bothersome.

I’d never lived in a trailer home before but after sixteen years here I can’t imagine ever being without. It’s too exciting. Everything is so parallel.

There are trailers of all sizes. Ours is a 36-footer with a separate queen sized bedroom area. Mr. Newt over at D-4 lives in a 52-foot number. It’s possibly too long. (More perpendicular than anything.) There’s a trailer in the center (C-4) that’s a back-of-the-truck kind of thing. It takes all kinds.

What do we do? Work, mainly, But, there’s always Ornette’s the local bar and restaurant. We like booze with the weekend and Ornette’s has plenty of it. (Don’t you worry. Tony, the guy who runs Ornette’s, will be by soon and tell you all about it.) I wish I was as verbose as my lovely wife. A general store, DVD rental place and the newspaper office. But, apart from that….This town’s not big but it’s great.

Really! Stay tuned for more great stuff!

No comments: